Join us for a little bit of island life!

Wednesday 27 May 2009

A secret place?


I am sure I have said it before. And I will definitely be saying it again. La Palma is full of surprises.
And it is not surprising that I repeat myself as the frequent wonders of the island continue to suddenly appear, even after seven years of living here. Not that I am complaining, it is after all what keeps us excited, amused and often shaking our heads.
Take this photo for example. Admittedly, it was taken by a top photographer (mothers are allowed to say that), but it is a true representation of one of the sights on the island, apart from the fact that it is obviously in black and white. This lack of colour, I feel, gives it a rather spooky feel.
But there is something about this place that has that indefinable magic and I just love it – the wonderful old wine press, the spindly balustrade of the stairs, the stillness. It is a place where time has suddenly stopped.
I stand there and conjecture as to the history of the people who lived there – and the wonderful thing is that I shall never know.
By the way, do you have any idea where this photograph was taken?
As you might realise, it is not exactly on a main road. And that is the other thing that makes me smile - because you just might have walked - almost - right by it.

Chuckle, chuckle.

No comments: